Clermont County Library Celebrates U.S Grant’s 200th Birthday
Programs to be presented at the Clermont County Public Library
to celebrate U.S. Grant’s 200th birthday
Silhouettes, Williamsburg, April 5, 6 p.m.
Silhouettes, Amelia, April 19, 6 p.m.
Silhouettes, Miami Township, June 13, 6 p.m.
Silhouettes, Owensville, June 15, 3 p.m.
• Create a classic piece of art by painting your own Silhouette portrait. Before photography was commonly available, profile portraits were a quick and inexpensive way to capture a loved one’s likeness. Now they’re making a modern comeback. Learn about the history of Silhouette art and create one to keep.
Historical Toys, Williamsburg, April 12, 4:30 p.m.
Historical Toys, Owensville, May 10, 6:30 p.m.
• Experience the history of toys in the 1800s as you go from station to station. Craft a toy to take home and participate in an authentic parlor game or two.
Grant Bicentennial Birthday Celebration Book Discussion, Owensville, April 12, 4 p.m.
• Discuss the new novel by John Reeves – A Fire in the Wilderness: The First Battle Between Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee.
Deep Devotion, Different Causes: The Barlows and the Gordons in the Civil War and Beyond, Owensville, May 3, 6:30 p.m.
• Two young combat officers fought each other on opposite sides in the Civil War. One was a New England Yankee radical elite and the other sprang from the Deep South. Each citizen soldier was deeply devoted to his cause and to his wife. A battlefield twist of fate joined their lives forever. The courageous wives were unusual because they, too went along to war. You will see conflict, love, heroism, and irony in this utterly fascinating story that illustrates two very different threads in our national heritage.
Colorizing History, Williamsburg, June 7, 6 p.m.
• Join us at the Williamsburg Branch and learn how to colorize black and white portraits with realistic colors! In this hands-on course you will learn basic photoshop skills using GIMP2. To commemorate the bicentennial birthday of Ulysses S. Grant, this program will explore the art of colorizing history by bringing Grant’s likeness to life.
Grant Book Club, Union Township, June 13, 2 p.m.
• Join your fellow historians to discuss To Rescue the Republic. Allow Bret Baier to grant you some more wisdom as he compares the historical events of our 18th president to modern day.
Jewelry from the mid-1800s, Felicity, June 29, 2 p.m.
• Learn about life in America in the middle of the 1800s and create your own necklace inspired by the time period. You don’t need to be an expert to make this simple, stylish necklace. Supplies and tools will be provided.